ROAM Driving Loop App
The Central South Island is an area of stunning landscapes from the Pacific Ocean to the Mackenzie Country.
One of the best ways to explore is to drive the loop around the beautiful hydro lakes, starting and finishing in seaside city Timaru. It's a favourite road trip for locals and car and motorbike clubs.
It takes approximately four hours to complete, however, you're going to want to stop, stay and play along the way.
We've launched the ROAM Loop Driving App to help you navigate this stunning drive.
ROAM (River. Ocean. Astro. Mountain) will have you uncovering all the must-visit spots that locals know and love.
Visit iconic South Island locations like Aoraki/Mt Cook, Caroline Bay and the Omarama Clay Cliffs. Wine, dine and coastal walk in the little seaside city Timaru. Check out the geology and wineries of the Waitaki Valley. Explore superb walking and biking tracks, and spectacular street art in Waimate.
Other ROAM must-dos:
- Take a dip in the Pacific Ocean, in turquoise lakes and in the mighty Waitaki River
- Stargaze in the Southern Hemisphere's only International Dark Sky Reserve
- Climb a mountain, get on your bike, walk all the tracks
- Eat all the good food along the way
- Explore ancient glaciers and podocarp forests
- Fossick in cool vintage and boutique stores
- See little penguins, and explore ancient Māori rock art
- Go skiing in the winter and then warm up in hot pools
- Take a detour to Victorian Oamaru, foodie haven Geraldine or fabulous Peel Forest
Download the free app
You can also view the web version of the App from your PC or laptop.
Timaru is on the East Coast of Te Waipounamu, the South Island, approximately halfway between Christchurch and Dunedin. There are direct daily flights into Timaru Airport from Wellington.