Easter School Holiday Guide
Whether you are a local, or someone visiting the Timaru District these Easter school holidays, there are heaps of activities and fun to keep the kids entertained.
Explore the district's many museums
We have 10 amazing and interesting museums across the district to explore!
For lovers of cars and machinery, head to Kyle Park, Geraldine Vintage Car & Machinery Museum, Route 79 and the Roger Mahan Heritage Centre. Take a trip back in time with a ride on the vintage steam train at the Pleasant Point Museum & Railway, and discover the aviation history at the South Canterbury Aviation Heritage Centre. For extensive local history, visit the South Canterbury Museum and Geraldine Historical Museum and don't forget our special and unique Te Ana Māori Rock Art Centre.
Walk and bike our beautiful trails
With over 30 walking and cycling tracks across the district, pack up the kids and a picnic lunch and hit the trails.
From short walks to longer cycle trails and hikes, you will be treated to stunning scenery, dramatic coastlines, waterfalls and inquisitive native birds. There's also the added bonus of tiring the kids out!
Meet some cute locals
If your kids love animals, there are loads of places for them to get up close with some local cuties!
Feed and meet the farm animals at The Shearers Quarters, the Famlan Farm Park or the Orari Farmyard Holiday Park or for something really special and thrilling, head to The Raptor Experience for a hands-on encounter with New Zealand raptor birds like Harrier Hawks and Little Owls.
Check out the local school holiday programmes
There are lots of exciting and educational school holiday programmes happening over the Easter School holidays:
- The Timaru District Facilities, South Canterbury Museum, the district libraries, Aigantighe Art Gallery and CBay are all hosting a collection of fun activities and competitions over the school holiday break. See the full details here.
- Timaru Booksellers are holding their first ever "Readathon". With story time daily at 11am and 3pm at the store on Stafford Street, it's a great way to get kids reading these school holidays. They have also developed a special reading log with a chance to win vouchers, books and more! Pick up a copy of the reading log from the store, or download one here.
- The South Canterbury Rugby Club are hosting school holiday programmes at clubs across the district. Click here for the dates and registrations.
- The South Canterbury Drama League is running a theatre workshop for kids to learn, polish and develop skills in theatre. The programme ends with two live performances at the Playhouse. Details and registrations here.
- The Peel Forest Outdoor Centre is running three exciting outdoor courses these school holidays including rafting, a bush adventure and a high ropes course. Full details and registration here.
- Multicultural Aoraki are holding a family fun day, Thursday 20 April from 11am - 1pm at Lough Park, Timaru. Check out their Facebook page for more information.
- Kids Alive Geraldine are running a 4-day programme from Tuesday 11 April - Friday 14 April with Superhero Day, Wacky Wednesday and Earth Day on the agenda. For more information and to book a spot, head to their website.
Hunt out some Easter eggs
Who doesn't love an Easter egg hunt? Here are some to take the kids to.
Easter Egg Hunt: Sunday 9 April, 1pm - 3pm.
Feed the animals, grab some lunch and play some mini golf while you are there.
Easter Egg Hunt: Saturday 8 April, 10am - 1pm
Pony cart rides, games for kids of all ages. Bring a picnic and enjoy.
Take part in our Timaru Trails Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt
Download the Timaru Trails app from the Google Play or App Store and take part in a district wide scavenger hunt. Locate the Easter eggs in the Timaru CBD and take photos at the secret spots to go in the draw to win vouchers from local stores.
As an extra Easter bonus, we have also hidden 4 Easter bunnies around the wider Timaru District. Find a bunny, follow the instructions and win an Easter hamper. Check out the We Love Timaru Facebook page for hints on where the bunnies are hidden.
Jump and play
Hit the mini golf and disc golf courses
Take the kids out for some competitive fun at one of the many mini golf and disc golf courses around the district.
Mini golf courses
You'll find mini golf courses at:
- The Shearers Quarters
- Temuka Domain
- Caroline Bay
- Cafe Mes Amis
There are disc golf courses located at Caroline Bay and the Temuka Domain.
For more things to do around the region, check out our activities page