School Holiday Activities
If you're looking for inspiration for fun with the whole whānau, you've come to the right place.
Here are our top five school holiday activities for October 2021.
1. Spend a day at the bay
Caroline Bay is great all year round.
Go for a spring paddle, make sand sculptures and look out for little penguin footprints in the sand. You can see the penguins come ashore to nest on dusk.
There's also a playground, bike skills park, disc golf, mini golf and a popular skate park.
At this time of year you can also walk your dog - stick to the middle of the beach as little penguins nest in the rocks at either end.
It's the starting point for the Dashing Rocks coastal walk. Beginning at Caroline Bay, you walk past the site of ancient shipwrecks and can see cool rocks that were formed from an ancient lava flow. Check it out on the free Timaru Trails App.
Plus you might be lucky enough to spot our resident pod of Hector's dolphins not far offshore.
Caroline Bay is right in the heart of Timaru City. You can start or finish with refreshments at the cool eateries on The Bay Hill.
2. Indoor activities
If the weather isn't great there's still plenty to do.
Head to the South Canterbury Museum and hunt the Golden Frog.
3. Animal cuteness
These friendly animals love interacting with visitors!
Famlan is an animal farm park with all sorts of animals including pigs, alpaca, sheep, birds, goats, guinea pigs, rabbits and ponies. The animals are very friendly, they LOVE visitors - especially if you have FOOD!
4. Timaru Trails App
Explore with the Timaru Trails app.
Download the free Timaru Trails app and try out different scenic and historic walks.
Our coastal tracks are perfect for spotting penguins, seals, sea lions, dolphins and even whales.
Take a self-guided tour of our street art, or explore the stories of some of Timaru's earliest burials with the cemetery tour.
Bring your bikes, or hire them here, and spend the day exploring Centennial Park. There are cool mountain biking tracks for all abilities, plus a recreational lake with relaxing picnic spots, and a BMX jump park nearby.
5. Forest trekking
A truly unforgettable experience.
Peel Forest Horse Trekking will take you through some of South Canterbury's most beautiful landscapes on horses. The treks are suitable for all ages and abilities.
You can try a short walk or river trek, or a multi-day trek into the Southern Alps.
In the words of one happy client - "We can't wipe the proud smiles of our kids faces. Would recommend to anyone".
While you're here
- From exploring rock pools, finding a WuHoo moment or visiting our penguins, there are lots of options for free fun.
- Head to the Temuka Book sale on 9 October and pick up some holiday reading, jigsaws and more.
- Also in Temuka, head to the Whānau Day on Tuesday 12th for a treasure, hunt games, and sausage sizzle.
- Take part in a wreath making workshop with Isle of Green at The Shearer's Quarters.
- Explore the universe at the Geraldine Observatory.
- Pick up some cute cupcakes in Timaru from Millie Rose.
- Try disc golf at Caroline Bay, West End Park or Temuka Domain.
- Experience the Te Ana Maori Rock Art Centre.
- Check out the events and holiday programmes on the Timaru District event calendar.